Carved Stone Scottish Figure and Niche

Scottish red sandstone statue niche with life sized allegorical figure representing "Knowledge". From the Townhead Library, the last library to be built with Andrew Carnegie's 1901 grant to the city of Glasgow, and marked the end of an amazing 3-year expansion to the city's library system. It was built to an Italian themed design, with a pedimented north bay which had a bush motif placed in the stonework. There was an upper balustrade with two statues placed in niches along the line of the parapet. The architect, John Fairweather, was later to specialise in cinemas and theatres. The library was officially opened on 4th July, 1907 by Sir James Fleming. After lying in a state of neglect and dereliction in the shadow of the M8 motorway for many years, Townhead Library was finally demolished in 1998. Figure just under 6' tall, Niche 9' 8" Tall

  • Model: GDFG021
  • 1 in Stock